NHL Hockey Betting
The most popular types of bets for NHL (National Hockey League) are money line, puck line, and totals. Money line bets are straight up bets on who will win. Puck line bets add 1.5 goals to the underdog, and remove 1.5 from the favorite, creating a lot of interesting bets. Total bets (also called over/under bets) are wagers on the total number of goals scored in a game. Put simply, sportsbooks estimate how many goals they think will be scored in a game by both teams combined, and you have to decide if they will score more or less points than the listed total.
* For the latest NHL lines, follow this link to our NHL Betting Lines page.
1/ BetOnline.com: All bettors welcome (including U.S. and Canadian). Handicappers can often find the earliest (and best) lines at BetOnline. They seem to shade the line less than other sportsbooks, meaning you’ll get better odds on favorites more often. They offer all new customers a 50% bonus up to $1,000, plus tons of special promotions are run during every NHL season. Frequent promotions make this one of the most fun sportsbooks on the internet today. Visa credit & debit cards, Mastercard, Amex, and other deposit methods are available.
For those interested in betting from their mobile smartphone or tablet, BetOnline offers compatible betting apps for every type of mobile device. To simplify the registration & deposit processes, mobile users should signup from their computers, then go to BetOnline.com from their mobile device. Login to your new account, and you’ll be walked through any remaining steps that may be required for your particular mobile device.
BetOnline also has the best parlay odds for 2-9 team parlays. If you like to go for big parlay wins, this is the book for you.
2/ Bovada.lv: All bettors welcome (including U.S. and Canadian). Bovada (formerly Bodog in the US) is a pioneer in the online sportsbook industry, with possibly the best reputation in the business. They offer new customers a 10% unlimited bonus, along with tons of promotions during every season. They accept Visa credit & debit cards, along with all of the most popular online wallets. Bovada runs lines for every NHL regular season game, plus playoffs and Stanley Cup games. Futures bets can be placed months before the season begins, and thousands of team & player props are available all season long. Live betting is also available for big matchups. Mobile betting is available for all of the most popular smartphones & tablets.
For U.S. handicappers, if your Visa credit card is initially turned down, contact the customer service department. They have alternative processors they can use to process Visa credit cards, with a higher success rate than the automated system online.
3/ Bet365.com: No US bettors. Bet365.com is one of the biggest online bookmakers in the world. They offer a wide selection of NHL betting options, along with props, Stanley Cup futures, and NHL live betting. They would be ranked #1 or #2 on this list if they accepted US bettors. Mobile NHL betting is available for iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry, and Windows based smartphones & tablets.
For punters outside the US, Bet365 is our favorite online bookmaker. They focus heavily on UK & European sports, including football, cricket, rugby, and more. Their betting software is possibly the easiest to use, and very contemporary in design. Tons of deposit options are available for all international punters.
NHL Wagering Tips
The National Hockey League (NHL) is very similar to NBA basketball in terms of the length of season and playoffs. In NHL hockey each team plays a total of 82 games during the regular season. The first place team from every division are awarded the top 4 spots in the conference and then the remaining 4 teams with the best record secure the final 4-playoff spots. Hockey has always been a Canadian sport, but the majority of NHL teams are based in the USA.
When you want to start betting on NHL hockey for the first time, you need to make sure you do several things. The first thing that you need to do is take all of the emotions about of your picks. If you want to win consistently in the NHL you need to follow every game and do your research on every team. You may also want to try and pick-up a few betting systems along the way that are profitable. The only problem with NHL hockey betting systems is that if they’re profitable they’re usually only a few games a month that you can bet on.
I always spend at least 1-2 hours every single day of the NHL hockey season looking over every game before making my decision. You never want to bet on a team because they’re the better team. If you watch the NHL at all then you’ll understand that any team can win on a given night. You should also never limit yourself to money line wagers in the NHL and you should branch out and look at the other types of bets you can make.
Types of Hockey Bets
• Initially when you wager on NHL hockey you’ll probably bet on the money line. You need to try and focus on small favorites or underdogs in the NHL. If you bet on heavily juiced favorites in the NHL you need to win a very high percentage of your bets in order to walk away with any long-term profits. If you’re new to sports betting, start at our home page for all sorts of education and the latest sports betting lines for all major sports.
• When you want to bet on a favorite with high juice you may want to try and bet on the puck line. On a puck line bet you need to decide whether you want to bet on the favored team to win by 2 goals or more. If you want to take the underdog then they can lose the game by 1 goal, but you’ll pay insane juice on this bet and it’s not recommended. The only time I bet on the puck line is when I want to take a big favorite.
• The over/under in the NHL can be a profitable bet depending on the team. A lot of the teams are sporadic in the amount of goals they give up, but there are several NHL hockey teams that always seem to have a strong over/under record. If you can pick up on the over/under trends of a team then you may be able to find value some nights on this type of wager. A majority of the games will have an over/under of 5.5 goals and it’s your job to decide whether the total of both teams will go over or under this goal total.
• In hockey there are several types of exotic bets available including prop bets and futures bets. I usually stay away from prop bets, but I do enjoy betting 2-3% of my bankroll on NHL futures every season. My favorite type of NHL hockey futures betting is deciding whether a team will go over or under on a regular season win total. I follow several teams closely every year and can usually predict how many wins they’ll roughly end up with at the end of the season.
How to Read Odds
• Canucks –136 vs. Leafs +124 (Canucks $136 to win $100, Leafs $100 to win $124)